The Dam Kayak Tour
The Dam Kayak Tour: This spectacular tour starts off in “The Chains” parking lot. From there we traverse across a beautiful overlook. Where you will get amazing views of Lake Powell, Wahweap Bay and even Navajo mountain. You’ll hike along Lake Powell's famous Navajo Sandstone and world known geological features and massive cliff edged channels. The views on this hike are next to none! They will leave your cameras full and your sense of adventure heightened!
After the overview hike we will come to a secluded beach where from there we will launch off into a large channel that was carved by the mighty Colorado River. Heading from there towards the Glen Canyon Dam and bridge. We’ll kayak under massive cliffed walls and right up to the marked safety area beneath the behemoth Dam. At this point everyone will have an opportunity to get a once in a lifetime picture in front of and enjoy the marvelous Glen Canyon Dam and the lake it created. Afterwards we’ll head back to the beach and in the Summer months stop for an opportunity to swim and enjoy the lake before hiking back to the parking area.
Price: $110 per person, no child pricing (13 and under) (prices do not include gratuity for tour guides)
Scheduled Meeting Times:
- 10:00am Arizona Time
- All times are stated as Arizona Time, which is the same as Pacific Time unless you are visiting from early November to mid March
Meeting Location: We’ll meet in the parking area at “The Chains” parking area. Direction will be in your confirmation email.
Expected Distance Paddled and Requirements:
- The Dam Tour Hike usually takes about 1 hour round trip (depending on water level of the lake). The terrain is a mixture of rock and sand and portions of the tour have uneven ground. This hike also has varying grades up and down and there is a portion of the hiking tour where the group hike down and up a moderate rock face. .
- The distance hiked roundtrip is typically 1 mile (1.6km).
- There will be ample opportunities to rest and take photos.
- Those with severe knee, ankle, or hip problems are not recommended to go on this tour.
- The paddling is typically only 1 mile (1.6km), depending on the water level of the lake.
- Wavy conditions can happen on the kayaking portion of this tour.
- This tour is suitable for those with moderate levels of physical fitness.
- It is required that participants have enough upper body strength to re-enter a capsized kayak with assistance from the tour guide, this is especially important in the spring when the water is cold. The route is along steep canyon walls so getting out of the water on shore is usually very difficult.
- All experience levels from beginner to advanced will have a great time on our trips.
- Double kayaks will be used on all trips
- Sit-on-top kayaks are used for this tour.
- Paddleboards are not permitted on this tour.
- Your feet will get wet, sandy, and possibly muddy on this tour. There is some muck at the end of the canyon where you get out of the kayaks. Wear shoes or sport sandals you can get wet.
- From June-October, tours include time for a swim.
- There are simple bathroom facilities at the parking lot. Dry Bags available for rent upon availability.
- Tour includes all kayak equipment and dry bags to store valuables.
- Are you a solo paddler? You may join an existing tour!
- All vehicles entering the Glen Canyon are subject to a $30 entrance fee. National Park Annual Passes are accepted. Please visit the National Park Service’s website for more information.
Make reservations Online or give us a Call 928-660-0778.
©2021 Kayak Powell - All Rights Reserved